Below is a schedule and brief description of recurring talks in the Physics and Astronomy Building. Prior to research talks, you should receive titles and abstracts via email. Additionally, emails for invited talks will call for one-on-one meetings, and provide opportunities for lunch/dinner with the speaker. Last updated Nov 2023.
|DiRAC Lunch (DSS)||Monday (M); 12:30-1:30pm|
|Physics Colloquium (Hybrid, A102)||M; 3-4pm|
|Astro Lunch Talk (Hybrid, B305)||Tuesday (T); 12-1pm||Yakov Faerman|
|Colloquium Tea (A102 Lobby)||T; 2:30-3pm|
|Astrobiology Colloquium (Hybrid, A102)||T; 3-4pm||Liza Young|
|DUSC Seminar (C421)||T; 3-4pm|
|Data Science Seminar (A102)||T; 4:30-5:20pm|
|DUSC Journal Club (DSS)||Wednesday (W); 2:30pm||John Franklin Crenshaw|
|DiRAC Wine & Cheese Social (DOS)||W; 4pm||Max West|
|Colloquium Tea (A102 Lobby)||Thursday (Th); 3:15pm|
|Astronomy Colloquium (Hybrid, A102)||Th; 3:30-4:20pm|
|Planetarium Show (PL)||Friday (F); 10am-2pm
|CAphEINE (Hybrid, C341)||F; 11am-12pm||Dino Bektesevic|
|Solar System Journal Club (Hybrid, DOS)||every other F; 11am-12pm||Sarah Greenstreet|
|Astro Pizza Lunch (C341)||F; 12:30pm||Chester Li|
|Graduate Seminar (Hybrid, B305)||F; 2:30-3:30pm||Tom Quinn|
|EquiTea (Hybrid, B305)
M, T, F ; 2pm
- Astro Lunch Series: given by department visitors for 30 min, followed by lunch with the speaker.
- Graduate Seminar: also known as "journal club," where grad students present papers to develop presentation skills.
- DUSC Seminar: invited talks which skew towards high-energy topics, gravitational waves, early universe, etc; request to join the mailing list.
- Data Science Seminar: invited talks on applied data science; request to join the mailing list.
- DUSC Journal Club: sometimes this is a discussion of papers, but visitors often lead discussions on interesting topics; there are also regular pedagogical tutorials.
- DiRAC Wine & Cheese: social over snacks, which include various cheeses, baguettes, and (occasionally) wine.
- Colloquium Tea: refreshments and cookies prior to the main invited talk.
- CAphEINE: review of recent astro-ph postings over coffee and doughnuts. Join the "CAphEINE" journal club and vote for papers (requires account).
- EquiTea: discussion of matters pertaining to diversity, equity, and inclusion which are not limited to astronomy, with tea and cookies prepared by grad students.
- Pizza Lunch: meal to encourage socialization among astronomy department members, organized by a grad student.
- A210—A216 (Classrooms)
- A110—A118 (Lecture Rooms)
- A102 – Auditorium
- PL – Planetarium (A220)
- C341 – Conference Room
- B305 – East Conference Room
- DOS – DiRAC Open Space (B356)
- UCL – Undergrad Computer Lab (B360)
- C520 – Physics Meeting Room
- C421 – INT Seminar Room
- ESR – eScience Seminar Room (6th Floor)
- DSS – WRF Data Science Studio (6th Floor)
To request booking a classroom or meeting room, check room reservations.